Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Newspapers+ More at the Interstate/Brass Monkey + Winter Relocation


Last Saturday the Newspapers played at the Brass Monkey (or is it the Interstate?) along with a couple of other bands.

First off was Please Step Out of the Vehicle, a fun little poppish/almost ska-ish (without the horns etc) band that played fun pop songs to move your ass to. Their myspace says they're a psychedelic pop group, but the pop was way more apparent than the psychedelia. They had a strong political slant, which was refreshing to see in a small band like them.

Next up was Sukey Tawdry, a great synth-pop, riot grrl-esque band. I know its lame, but the fact that the guitarist + bassist were girls just made me think of girl bands to compare them to, so here we go! I felt a strong Stereolab vibe coming with the soft vocals and synths, but the strong rhythm section rose above Stereolab's straight-forward 1-2 beats. They had a great dynamic, building swelling soundscapes with the voice and synth, and then rocking out straight-ahead with the six string. They're playing a show at Backspace, where the Pony caught The Thermals & Yacht a few weeks ago, on January 17th. I would go see them, not only are they a great band but Backspace is a fun place to go, but I'm going to be out of town(more on that later). I recommend seeing these guys live, real firecrackers. Also, they are mighty fine girls.

Then Pony-faves The Newspapers took the stage, playing their usual amazing pop-punk-dance-funk-ass-fuck that got the crowd to moving. I was impressed by the fact there was a gaggle of high-school looking girls jumping and singing along with every single line of each song. Sorry, guys, I took pictures, but like an idiot(again), I left my camera in Portland with the memory card inside. Well, I guess there will be a post-Christmas present waiting for you readers at the end of January.

Although I didn't see Reporter, I heard they were flat out amazing, and now that I'm listening to their myspace page, I'm wishing I hadn't left. Goddamn bus leaving so early. They opened for The Thermals on tour earlier this year. Mark your calendars, they're playing January 21st at The Tube and the 31st at Holocene. I'll try and squeeze a full live review of them out of John, who was there.


Please Step Out of the Vehicle

Sukey Tawdry

The Newspapers

Reporter


ALSO:

Dear Portland, we will miss you. For the next month the Pony will be relocated to the beautiful Bay Area, which I can't say is better than the PDX but is amazing in its own way. We've got year-end lists comin' atcha, to pass the time, and a New-Years planner for any Yay-Area Pomegranates looking for something to do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yes i am happy. its raining out of gods asshole up here right now

Anonymous said...

you left out southern belle! they were really good...

Anonymous said...

Good words.